Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stuffed Flank Steak

Stuffed Flank Steak

I am always thrilled when I find a recipe that allows me to take an inexpensive cut of meat and transform it into an incredible meal. That’s what you’ll find with this recipe for Stuffed Flank Steak that I found in one of my favorite flank steak recipecookbooks, The New Basics Cookbook. Although I’ve made some additions to their "cooking procedures", the recipe is basically the same.

Flank steak is a boneless cut of beef that is long and fibrous and comes from the cow’s lower section. Typically you tenderize flank by marinating it before grilling. Or you can slow cook it (braise) in broth and vegetables.

In this recipe we take another approach. Have your butcher butterfly or split the meat down the center so it lays flat and then break down the tough fibers by running it through his meat tenderizer. You can also tenderize it at home with that funny looking mallet with the ridges on it or as my daughter is doing with a meat pounder.

The only other time-consuming ingredient is preparing the roasted red bell peppers. They are easy to do and are explained below, but if you really don’t want to be bothered, you can purchase them at one of our fine food establishments. That done, you are ready to turn an ordinary piece of meat into a delicious steak stuffed with spinach, roasted red peppers, prosciutto, and parmesan cheese. We served this dish with rice pilaf, sautéed asparagus, and a salad. The next day I had the beef cold for lunch and it was delicious.

Cooking Videos - Be sure to check out these two quick but informative cooking videos from Cuisine at Home and check out all my favorite cooking videos here.

How to Butterfly a Flank Steak

How to Slice Flank Steak


No comments:

Post a Comment