Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grilled Marinated Beef with Caramelized Onions

Grilled Marinated Beef with Caramelized Onions

I find any time of the year is perfect for grilling. Lucky for me, I have my grill strategically placed so I can get to it anytime grilled steak recipeof the year. I guess not having access to a grill for many many years while living in NYC, I feel compelled to grill whenever I can. Check out my Grill Tips for information on grilling and check out my Tools & Gadgets for some great grill tools that are a must for any serious Griller.

Grilling beef over fire goes back a long time and may still be the best way to cook it. Maybe it's the smoky flavor, or maybe it's the sound of the sizzle while cooking, but eating a steak right off the grill is definitely one of my favorite ways of preparing beef.

There are many different cuts of beef and each should be prepared in it's own way to bring out the maximum flavor. Generally, lean steaks should be marinated and cooked quickly so they don't overcook and become tough. Fattier cuts like the tenderloin and filet mignon can be lightly oiled, seasoned with salt and pepper and thrown on the grill. For this recipe, I used a lean flank steak marinated in soy, sherry, and Dijon mustard.

For your information, I originally posted this recipe with a mistake. I said to marinate the beef and then use the same marinade later to baste the beef while grilling. It was brought to my attention that this is not wise because "Surface bacteria, including all the nasty ones, propagate in the marinade. When you smear them back onto the surface of the meat, you re contaminate the meat with bacteria." So I changed the recipe to as follows. RG

Reluctant Gourmet’s Tips
1. Be sure your grill is hot enough before starting.
2. Grill meat and veggies about 4 inches from heat source.
3. To add more flavor, try adding pre soaked chunks of natural hardwoods like Hickory.
4. Make sure grill is clean before cooking.
5. To prevent sticking, brush or spray a light coating of oil on grid.
6. If your grill has a top, close it to allow smoke to add it's flavor.

Grilled Marinated Beef with Caramelized Onions

No comments:

Post a Comment