Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Marsala,,Chicken Piccatta

Chicken Marsala , Chicken Piccatta

I remembered this little restaurant across from the Port Authority when I lived in New York City that was a pasta store in front and a restaurant in back where they served great chicken Piccata. I think it was called Supreme Macaroni and was where they shot the album cover Billy Joel's Scenes from an Italian Restaurant but I'm not sure of the latter.

Chicken Marsala RecipeI knew it was basically a flour, lemon and butter sauce but I wanted to find a recipe to refresh my memory before jumping into it. After looking through a bunch of my favorite Italian cookbooks for chicken or veal piccata recipes without success, I finally gave up and found a recipe for Veal Piccata in my New Basics Cookbook.

What's going on here? I started thinking that maybe these aren't Italian dishes but a quick check in my Food Lover's Companion proved to me that yes, these are indeed from Italy. When I looked in my refrigerator, I realized we didn't have any lemons and this is not an easy dish to make without a lemon and I didn't feel like running to the grocery store.

baked squash Copy Cat Recipes

Here's where it gets interesting. Since I had already pounded the chicken breasts thin, I lucked out when I looked at the recipe right next to Piccata on the same page.Veal Marsala.

Hey, this calls for flattened veal cutlets so my chicken breasts will work and I have all the other ingredients so here we go. For the record, this recipe calls for 4 boneless veal cutlets. I had six chicken breasts already flattened so I cooked all six and used only three of the breasts for Chicken Marsala and decided to buy a lemon the next day and try my hand at Chicken Piccata.

There would be leftovers for a delicious quick and easy meal the next night (which is a good thing with two little ones to take care of) and I would recreate that delicious Chicken Piccata that I remembered from my life in New York City. Life is good.

The New Basics recipe below for chicken Marsala is good, but I wanted the real thing, a classic Marsala sauce like you get in your favorite Italian Restaurant. So I called my friend, Chef Ricco, who has forgotten more about cooking than I will ever know. He learned how to make a classic chicken Marsala from his mother who happened to be Frank Sinatra's family cook for a number of years.

Chef Ricco gave me step by step details on how to perfect your chicken Marsala at home which I turned into my first 23 page mini eCookbook called Chicken Marsala Perfected. It's more of a cooking lesson on how to saute and make a pan sauce than just on recipe. It also shows you how to make Marsala Sauce for steak and veal.

No comments:

Post a Comment